Birthstones are stones related to the date of birth of an individual. Their widespread fame as a sheath of protection creates their great demand in the current society. The use of these stones as a part of jewelry comes from the belief that they bring good luck, keep away negatively paving positive factors in every aspect of life. How far the results are fetched is not a matter of discussion or doubt and the fact remains that there is a great demand for birthstones. There are birthstones for different days like Monday, Tuesday, etc. There are stones connected with every month from January to December. Let us have a glimpse over the May birthstone.
Table of Contents
What is the meaning of the May Birthstone?
It is said that these birthstones bring success in a career. Those who propagate them strongly claim that you are sure to succeed if you wear astrologically correct stones. Therefore, if you are born in May, wear the May birthstones or use the gemstone as per the advice of the gemologist for the desired result.
Those who are born in May have one of the most beautiful gemstones called Emerald. This is one of the most precious stones which is mostly like aquamarine from the beryl family. Mostly this gemstone is available in gorgeous green color and is considered one of the world’s best precious gemstones.
Emerald- The Green Gemstone of Successful Love
Emerald is the most beneficial gemstone for those born in May. They appear in deep green color which symbolizes victory and joy. Its deep green color brings a fresh, peaceful, positive vibe and soothing effect to those who wear it. Its color symbolizes the love and respect for our mother Nature. Apart from this, there are several myths related to emerald gemstone.
In the ancient period, it is believed that emerald heals epilepsy, stops bleeding, and protects the wearer from panic. Its green color gives a soothing effect to the eyes. In the Christian belief emerald is the symbol of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. It also believes that it has the power to foretell the future.
History of the Emerald Gemstone
Emerald is one of the oldest gemstones in the world. Like the color of the gem, the name Emerald means ‘green gem’.
- The first excavation of emerald was done in Egypt around 1500 BC.
- Cleopatra, the Egyptian queen known as the Miss Universe, adorned herself with this precious gemstone.
- Emerald was the most favorite gemstone of queen Cleopatra.
- The age of the world’s oldest emerald was about 2.97 billion years.
- In ancient times Spain traded emerald across Europe and Asia as a precious stone and spread it to different parts of the world.
- There was an astrological belief that you could predict the future if you kept an emerald under your tongue.
- It was also believed that it had the power to act against negative energy and black magic. In ancient Greek, there was a belief that if the emerald was crushed and made into a lotion and applied to the eyes, it provided a soothing effect to the eyes.
- In almost all cultures emerald has a sacred place and it has the power of protecting, keeping one’s mind calm, and providing positive energy. It is a symbol of peace, beauty, trust and above all it also symbolizes protection.
- If we look throughout history, emerald is a common factor in every royal family.
- It has often been used to decorate crowns, royal empire and even believed that if it was used in sword it would give victories.
- It was often used by royal families in India, Iran, and Russia.
- In Indian history, the Taj Mahal, the world-famous monument which symbolizes love, and its architect the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan decorate these monuments with plenty of emerald gemstones.
- The tomb of the emperor Shah Jahan and his wife Mumtaz Mahal is also adorned with a precious and priceless emerald gemstone.
- In the Roman culture emerald is the stone of Venus, the Goddess of love and beauty.
- Even many modern icons are dressed in emerald with great passion and enthusiasm.
- It is one of the finest and precious gemstones used for jewelry purposes. Its mindblowing and attracting deep green color makes it a favorite gem throughout the world.
What are the different names of Emerald Gemstone?
In general emerald gemstones are known as ‘stone of successful love’. Due to its color, it is often termed as ‘greenstone’. In English, it is known as ‘Emeraude’, in Latin ‘Esmeraldas’ and in Sanskrit, it is called ‘Maratakamani’.
Availability of Emerald Gemstone
Emerald was first excavated in ancient times in Egypt at Mount Smaragdus in 1500 BC. But as time passed the mines in Egypt were exploited by the Roman Empire and by Islamic rulers. Mining halted after the discovery of Colombian treasure, and now only the remnants remain.
- Colombia is the largest producer of emerald.
- The three major emerald mining areas in Colombia are Muzo, Coscuez, and Chiver.
- One of the rarest pieces of emerald that is ‘trapiche emerald’ with dark green color and black spokes which are impurities are found in Colombia.
- Zambia is the second-largest producer of emerald.
- Their main area of emerald mines is near the Kafuba River.
- They hold about 20% of the world’s emerald production.
- Not only in these countries emeralds are found in almost all countries.
- Its mines are present in Afghanistan, Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, China, India, Egypt, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Italy, Kazakhstan, Madagascar, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Russia, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Tanzania, United States, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
Supposed Benefits of Emerald Gemstone
Since ancient times, the emerald stone is considered to be one of the most powerful and vibrant gemstones. Its positive energy influences the one who wears it. In Indian mythology, it is believed that the planet Mercury (Budh) is the ruling power of the gemstone emerald. It gives good fortune and the blessings of Mercury when you wear this gemstone. So as associated with God Budh it is called ‘Budh Ratna’ or ‘Mercury Gemstone’.
What are the astrological facts about Emerald Gemstone?
- This is known as the coldest of all gems. Those who wear this stone can feel its coldness.
- It has the power to attract cosmic rays from nature.
- This stone has two zodiac signs- Gemini and Virgo
- It is the birthstone for May
- This stone represents the earth as its element.
- It is believed that it should be worn for the first time on a particular day that is on Wednesday and only after two hours of sunrise.
- The stone should be purified by dipping in cow milk before wearing it.
- This stone should be worn with physical purity as well as mental purity.
- Astrologers recommend wearing this stone with gold and it should touch the body for better results. As the sun rays pass through the stone it will give positive energy to your body.
Types of Emerald
This gemstone is popularly known as the royal gemstone. Its deep green color attracts many royal kingdoms like Mughals, Egyptians, and Romans. They often use emerald more than other precious gemstones like diamonds, ruby, and sapphire to decorate their throne. Due to its beauty and different color pattern with the basic green shade, it is divided into five types.
As the name indicates this type of emerald is found in Colombian mines. This stone has deep green hues with different variations of colors. Colombia is the leading producer of emerald in the world.
This stone has a color of leafy green with dark green at the core of the stone. This stone is less porous, smaller, and less brittle. This gemstone is cheaper as compared to the Colombian emerald and is highly affordable for any class of people.
In ancient Indian History, emerald is one of the gemstones that are unavoidable in decorating the Mughal kingdoms and other royalties. In India, the emerald has a high astrological value as well. In the famous Meenakshi Amman temple in South India, the chief deity Goddess Meenakshi is traditionally believed to be made by emeralds.
This type of emerald has a breathtaking clarity with perfect tone and deep saturation of color. This is one of the rarest of rare emerald gemstones.
Carnaiba Brazilian Emerald
These types of emerald are a little lighter than the Colombian emerald and have a quite large carat weight with deep green color.
Some of the Notable emeralds in the World
- Bahia Emerald in Brazil
- Carolina Emperor in the United States
- Chalk Emerald in Colombia
- Duke of Devonshire Emerald in Colombia
- Emerald of Saint Louise in Austria
- Gachala Emerald in Colombia
- Mogul Mughal Emerald in Colombia
- Rock Stellar Emerald in Colombia
- Patrica Emerald in Colombia
- Mim Emerald in Colombia
Who should wear the Emerald gemstone?
There is no restriction for anyone to wear this stone. This is a favorable stone for everybody. But under some conditions, this stone proves much better for some people. These people include those who are born in May. As this stone is the birthstone for May it will give more benefits and good fortune for those who are born in May. When considering the Zodiac sign it is better to wear for the sign Gemini and Virgo. This often proves good for students as this is the stone of wisdom, knowledge, and brainpower.
What are the alternative or imitation stones for an emerald gemstone?
‘Imitation’ which literally means something which possesses the same characteristics of the original one but not exactly the original. It somehow satisfies the features of the original one. Mostly they are produced to satisfy the needs as a substitute.
Alternative Gemstones for Emeralds
‘Alternative’ stones of emerald mean that those stones occur as green in nature and have the features to satisfy those who want green gemstones. As emerald is a precious stone that cannot be afforded by common men, they can buy the alternative stones of emerald.
Peridot and Green Tourmaline are the alternative stones for emeralds. Their characteristics and appearance are almost similar to that of an emerald.
Peridot belongs to the magnesium-rich silicate mineral family of Olivine. It mainly occurs in the earth’s mantle and lava. It is mainly available in Egypt, Hawaii, Nevada, Austria, China, Myanmar, Pakistan, And Tanzania. Its hardness and appearance reflect like that of the emerald gemstone itself.
Tourmaline belongs to a semi-precious crystalline boron silicate family. This stone is available in different color variances like black, pink, violet, green, and brown. It also satisfies the hardness of emerald. This is mainly mined from granite and metamorphic rocks. It is cheaper compared to both peridot gemstone and emerald gemstone. It provides a similar look and satisfaction to the one who wants to buy an emerald gemstone.
Jewelry Made by Emerald Gemstones
The deep green color of the stone gives a mesmerizing beauty to the jewelry made by the stone Emerald. Some of the common jewelry made by emerald are as mentioned below:
Emerald as Rings
It is one of the most precious gifts that can be presented to couples on their anniversaries. Its positive energy will reflect throughout the life of the couple.
Emerald as Bracelets
Most of the celebrities wear emerald bracelets with platinum chains. This will give them confidence and success throughout their career and add beauty to their personalities.
Emerald as Pendant
Nowadays emerald pendants have become a fashionable trend among girls. This gives them a gorgeous look and keeps them positive at all times.
How to take care of Emeralds?
As compared to pearl or ruby it is quite easy to take care of emeralds.
- Use a soft cloth to rub it gently. Use soap and water to clean it thoroughly.
- Do not use any harsh materials like a toothbrush, or scrubber to clean it. This may scratch your stone and can damage the shining of your stone.
- Do not use ultrasonic, steam cleaners.
- Do not expose it to heat.
Some extra precautions to be noted while wearing emerald jewelry. As you know that it is a precious stone therefore you have to be more careful during and after wearing the jewelry.
- It is not recommended to wear Emerald for daily use.
- If you wear it continuously it may cause damage and scratch to your ornaments.
- It also loses its shine and beauty if it combines with salt in your sweat.
- So after your use make it a habit to clean it thoroughly, wrap it in a pure cotton cloth and keep away from light. This will help to increase the life of your emerald ornaments.
What are the special features to consider when buying Emerald?
Emerald is the most precious stone after Ruby, Diamond, and Sapphire. For the good quality of the stone, you need to consider some important features while buying these gemstones.
A good and original emerald stone is deep green. Its core center is green which is neither too dark nor pale.
The original emerald stone not only has a deep green color but also possesses good clarity. When you get this attractive color with good clarity, the light spins around the gem and comes out in a bright glow, which will make the emerald absolutely stunning.
Like the cutting of a diamond, the beauty of emerald lies in its perfect cutting. Cutting the stone with perfect shape, size, width, and depth enhances its beauty. Symmetrical cutting of the stone also makes it highly attractive. On the other hand, if the stone is cut too deeply the light will pass through it and the stone will appear very dark in color and will lose its beauty and shine.
The beauty of the emerald stone is its luster. It appears in glassy luster with deep green color.
Where to buy May Birthstones?
Nowadays many retailers deal with the selling of birthstones. The reason for this is that most people now believe in birthstones and their benefits. So birthstones are sold in most gold shops. Some of the trusted retailers of birthstones are James Allen, Blue Nile, Amazon, Zales, Kay, and Jared. They offer a 30 days return policy.
Birthstones are worn by almost all great personalities across the world. The man who wears it, who has carved it has a much lesser life span than the stone. Almost immortal, it is a wonderful gift that can be passed over to generations as a symbol of ancestor wealth. The modern stones give much importance to their appearance and convenience in using them, so it is important to ensure that the birthstone you buy also possesses its inherent benefits for those born in May.