We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
What are birthstones? As the name suggests birthstones are stones connected with the birthday of an individual. There are umpteen varieties of stones in the market used in adorning jewelry but one in great demand is the birthstone that an individual uses as a pendant, ring, or any other form. A birthstone is believed to give power and insights to the wearer. It is a common belief that those who wear a birthstone can keep away negative forces and generate more positive energy in their lives. It is also believed that birthstones bring a fortune in life.
If you are an August-born then you are lucky that you have three birthstones. Apart from June and December, August is the only month with three special gemstones. Which are those gemstones and what are their special properties? Well, to know that let us have a closer look at all the three special birthstones of August.
- 1 The Three Birthstones of August
- 2 Peridot- The Green Gemstone that Glitters in the Night
- 2.1 History of Peridot Gemstone
- 2.2 Availability of Peridot Gemstone
- 2.3 Some Interesting Facts About Peridot Gemstone
- 2.4 How to Take Care of Peridot gemstones?
- 2.5 How to Check the Credibility of Peridot Gemstone?
- 2.6 Types of Peridot Jewelry
- 3 Sardonyx- The Gemstone of Courage and Bravery
- 4 Spinel- The Most Under-Appreciated Gemstone of History
- 5 Factors to Consider when Buying August Birthstones
- 6 Where to buy the August Birthstone?
- 7 Final Words
The Three Birthstones of August
The most prominent and well-known stone of August month is Peridot. Along with Peridot, Sardonyx, and Spinel are the other stones that can also be worn by August-born people.
Peridots are formed deep in the earth mantle with the hardening of lava in extreme pressure and temperature conditions. The volcanic eruptions and tectonic activities bring them to the outer surface of the earth. Its color varies from yellowish-green to greenish-yellow. It is one of the few varieties of the mineral olivine.
Sardonyx is considered to be the oldest birthstone for August month. It is a combination of two types of Chalcedony Quartz, Sard, and Onyx. It appears mostly in brownish red to dark orange.
Spinel is the other alternative birthstone for August month. It is rich in color. Its different color variants are intense red, vibrant pink, orange, purple, violet, blue and bluish green.
Peridot- The Green Gemstone that Glitters in the Night
Peridot got its name from ‘faridat’ which is the Arabic word for ‘gem’. It is considered one of the few gemstones available in a single color. Commonly, peridot is available in deep green color. Its density of green color represents the iron content in it. Its color may vary from deep green to deep yellowish-green and olive to deep brownish-green. But it’s base color is always green. It is rich in magnesium. Due to its beautiful green color peridot is a dazzling and mesmerizing gemstone to wear.
History of Peridot Gemstone
Peridot is considered one of the oldest gemstones- just like an emerald. It was discovered during late 1500 BC. It appears in shades of green hues. It adds beauty when it is available with brownish-green or reddish-green, however, its base color will always be green. The intensity of green color changes according to the presence of iron content in it. Due to its elegant green color, it is often mistaken for emerald.
If we look into the history of Peridot, we can find that peridot is often used in the place of emerald. In fact, in the case of Cleopatra’s jewels, it is often said that she used the peridot to adorn herself and not the emerald as commonly believed. But it remains a mystery, never to be unraveled.
The history of Peridot is strongly related to Egypt. There is enough evidence to prove that this gemstone was first discovered on Topazo Island now known as St. Johns in the Egyptian Sea. This stone was used to adorn the sarcophagus of pharaohs and was used by many pharaohs to add as a collection in their gems’ treasure.
The gemstone was so popular among the Egyptian pharaohs that the miners had to mine it even during the night time. And they could do it in the night time as the gem is visible even in the dark due to its amazing and beautiful glittering. Due to its unique property of shining during the day and also the night, it was often called ‘The Gem of the Sun’. Peridot is the national gemstone of Egypt.
Availability of Peridot Gemstone
Peridot gemstone has an amazing story of its formation. It is often excavated deep inside the earth’s mantle. However, the more interesting fact about this gemstone is that some of these gems are often found as meteorites, journeyed to earth from outer space. This shows the importance and value of this unique gem.
The main Peridot gemstone sources are found in China, Myanmar, Pakistan, Tanzania, Vietnam, the United States, and Hawaii. The oldest mining of peridot gemstone started in the Egyptian Island of Zabargad around 340-279 BC. It is now known as Topazios. This island is rich in peridot but has been lost and found many times in its long history. The gemstones found on this island are precious, desirable, and expensive. The good quality of the gemstone from the island can be found in different museums in Egypt.
In the Asian continent, the important sources of peridot gemstone are found in Myanmar (Burma). Sometimes the gemstone is found in the crevices of the northern slope of the Kyauktan mountain region near the gem city of Mogok. The gemstone from this area possesses a deep green color and excellent clarity.
One of the main sources of peridot gemstone is found in the Arizona state of The United States. Due to the geographical condition of this region massive volcanic eruptions occur and bring the lava spilling into the ring for more than hundreds of years. Among other substances, the lava brought a large quantity of peridot with it and spread it across a large area on the outer surface of the earth.
Another source of peridot are the meteorites coming from space. For more than a decade many meteorites have hit the earth, containing olivine but only a few of these have the quality of peridot and exhibit the characteristics of peridot gemstones.
Some Interesting Facts About Peridot Gemstone
Here are some of the interesting facts related to peridot gemstone:
- Peridot is the only gemstone that is available only in a single color that is green. Different shades of green color add to the beauty of the gemstone.
- You can check your peridot gemstone, an original or an imitation by simply keeping a magnet near to it. As we know peridot is made of the element iron, so it will attract towards the magnet if it is original.
- Peridot is the birthstone of August month. It is believed that if those born in August wear this stone, it will bring them good luck, peace, happiness, and harmony in their life.
- There was a belief in Egypt that Queen Cleopatra wore Peridot instead of Emerald which exactly inhibits the appearance and characters of the emerald.
- Its crystalline characteristics and brilliant green color make it bright when it is hit by moonlight. So, it is easy to find even at night.
- In Egypt, it was called ‘Gem of Sun’ and in ancient Rome, it was called ‘Evening Emerald’.
- One of the largest cuts of peridot stone was the size of 310 carats. It is currently displayed at Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC.
How to Take Care of Peridot gemstones?
Peridot is one of the most attractive and beautiful gemstones. Its dark green hues and dazzling shining attract almost everyone. It is attractive and can be afforded by common people also. If you do not give much attention and care to the stone it may damage and lose its natural beauty. For taking care of your peridot gemstone you must follow some steps.
- Clean the peridot gemstone with warm water, soap, and a soft brush.
- Soak it in lukewarm water with soap. Then gently brush it and wash it in clean water.
- Rub it with a soft cotton cloth. Keep it in an airtight box after cleaning it as If the stone comes in contact with the air it may lose its natural beauty.
- You must be very careful while wearing the peridot stone. Do not allow it to come in contact with any type of chemicals, like perfumes, or any cosmetic items, etc. It will fade the color of your stone.
- Do not expose it to heavy heat or temperature.
- This stone is not good for daily wearing. Protect it from scratches.
How to Check the Credibility of Peridot Gemstone?
Peridot is a stone that can be easily faked. Imitation of this gemstone is now vastly available in the market. So before buying it one should thoroughly check its credibility
- If you are buying a peridot stone you should thoroughly check that the stone has a pure green color with a shade of yellow and brown. If you notice any other color, then it is an imitation.
- Check the peridot gemstone under any natural or artificial light source. If it is an original one its color doesn’t change but if it is an imitation it shows different colors.
Types of Peridot Jewelry
Peridot as Ring
The gorgeous deep green color of the stone provides a stunning look. It will be beautiful if you wear it with gold or platinum as an engagement ring.
Peridot as Necklace
The natural color of the stone will give a magnificent look to the necklace. If those who are born in August month wear it, it will give them confidence and power.
Peridot as Pendant
Different shades of the gemstone give it a mesmerizing appearance and when light falls on it, the gemstone shines like a sun.
Sardonyx- The Gemstone of Courage and Bravery
Sardonyx gemstone is considered as another birthstone that can be worn by those who are born in August month it is said to be the stone filled with happiness, strength, and confidence. It helps to boost your inner strength and peace.
History of Sardonyx gemstone
Sardonyx first excavated around 4000 years ago during the rules of the second dynasty of Egyptian rulers. It is one of the most sought-after gemstones in ancient Greek and Roman culture. According to their mythology, Hercules and Mars are the Gods of power and victory. So, the soldiers used to wear engraved sardonyx with the images of these Gods before going to the war field. They strongly believed that God would support them and help them succeed in the wars. This stone gave them strength, powers, courage, and a brave heart on the battlefield.
In ancient Rome, this stone was used to seal the official documents with wax as wax doesn’t stick to this stone. During the time of the revolution, politicians and orators wear this stone for good public speaking and communication with the mob. Unlike any other gemstone, Sardonyx is affordable and inexpensive that can be even afforded by common people and can add beauty to their jewel collections.
Availability of Sardonyx Gemstone
It is composed of different types of silica minerals called chalcedony. Its surface is composed of tiny fibers with layered band like strips. Its color varies from white to gray. The name Sardonyx is derived from the Greek word’ Sard’ which means ‘reddish-brown’ and ‘onyx’ means ‘veined gem’.
A very good variety of Sardonyx gemstone is found in India. Apart from India, the stone is also found in Germany, Czechoslovakia, Brazil, and Uruguay. In the United States, it is found in Lake Superior and Oregon.
Some Interesting Facts About Sardonyx Gemstone
Sardonyx is considered a semi-precious gemstone. Here are some of the interesting facts about this gemstone:
- It appears in reddish-brown with a white-colored band. Sardonyx can also be available in different color variants like yellow, brown, white, purple, gray, black, pink, and green.
- It usually comes in a larger size but it can be designed to your favorite size as the oval, pear, rectangle, round, etc.
- Sardonyx is a type of chalcedony that is available in a wide variety of other stones including Agate, Bloodstone, Carnelian, Chrysoprase, Flint, Jasper, Onyx, Sard, and so on.
How to Take Care of Sardonyx Gemstone?
Sardonyx is a tough and hard stone. However, it can still be damaged by scratches or by any kind of hard material.
- Avoid keeping with the harder materials.
- Clean it with soap water and a soft-bristle brush.
- After cleaning, rub it with a soft cotton cloth and wrap it in a soft cloth, and keep it in a closed fiber lined box.
- Do not clean it with any chemicals that can damage the stone.
- Do not expose too much to heat or light as it fades the color.
Jewelry Made by Sardonyx
Like all other gemstones, jewelry made with sardonyx also looks great and mind-blowing.
Sardonyx as Necklaces
The different color variants of this gemstone make the necklace beautiful and outstanding. It can even look like a precious gemstone.
Sardonyx as Engagement Ring
Nowadays engagement rings made with sardonyx gemstone have become more popular due to its different color shades making the engagement ring more gorgeous and beautiful.
Sardonyx as Pendant
When this stone is combined with white gold and sterling silver will give you a royal look in a pendant.
Spinel- The Most Under-Appreciated Gemstone of History
Spinel is considered the third gemstone for those who are born in August. It is a rare species of gemstone with a wide variety of colors. It often stands just behind ruby, sapphire, and diamond in terms of hardness. As the stone is often transparent and red, it is called spinel rubies. In ancient European periods, it adorned the jewels of royal families.
History of Spinel Gemstone
The Spinel gemstone is called ‘The History’s most under-appreciated gem’. It often gets confusing with ruby and sapphire. Many royal crowns were adorned with spinel gemstone. One of the best spinel gemstones named’ The Black Prince’s Ruby’ was mistakenly identified as ruby and was a part of the British Imperial State Crown. Henry V of England wore this stone during the battle and it weighs 170 carats.
One of the rare stones weighs 361 carats named’ The Timur boy’ is owned by Queen Elizabeth. Nowadays spinel gemstone has become very popular among people due to its value and rare appearance. The main reason behind its increased demand is that it exactly looks like ruby and sapphire.
Availability of Spinel Gemstone
The largest producers of spinel gemstones are Burma and Sri Lanka. Along with these countries, some other countries also produce spinel gemstones. They are Vietnam, Madagascar, Tanzania (Mahenga and Tunduru), Tajikistan, Mozambique, Afghanistan, Brazil, Kenya, Russia, Cambodia, and Thailand.
Some Interesting Facts About Spinel Gemstone
The gemstone deserves a lot more appreciation than it does as people do not know some of the very interesting facts about this gem that makes it special.
- Spinel was declared the birthstone of August month in 2016. Its glittering character and different variance of color make it a favorite for everyone.
- Spinel is considered a hard gemstone after ruby, diamond, and sapphire.
- The main property of spinel gemstone is that it can be cut into many shapes and sizes.
- It is attractive with its color variants like orange to dark red or pink and is available in all shades of purple, blue, violet, and bluish green.
Types of Spinel Gemstone
Spinel gemstone is available not only in red color but also in different colors like white, colorless, blue, green, yellow orange, brown, pink, purple, and black. Some of the different types of colored gemstones are
- Almandine Spinel
- Violet to violet-blue.
- Balas Ruby
- Pink to pale red.
- Blue Spinel
- Light to dark blue.
- Flame Spinel
- Orange to orange-red
- Dark green to greenish-black.
- Brown color
- It is opaque with dark blue or green to black.
- Yellow to orange
- Ruby Spinal
How to take care of Spinel Gemstone?
Spinel gemstone is a hard stone. But there is a chance of being scratched by other hard stones like ruby, diamond, and sapphire if it is kept with them. So better to keep it safe by wrapping it in a cloth.
It is best to clean it by dipping it in warm water and soaking it with soap and gently rub it with a soft cloth.
Jewelry Made with Spinel
Spinel as a Ring
Due to its vibrant colors, it is a good gift for engagement and other parties. Mostly these rings are used as a gift for wedding anniversaries.
Spinel as Pendant
It looks gorgeous and beautiful when worn combined with gold and silver. But it looks amazing and beautiful when it is worn with silver. Its dazzling colors will be the highlight of the pendant.
Spinel as Earrings
When spinel and aquamarine combine they will give you a cool look and add beauty to your jewels.
Factors to Consider when Buying August Birthstones
For good quality of birthstone, you must be very careful while selecting the stone. It is very important to have a thorough checking of 4c’s.
Every gemstone has its own color. The color will change for different stones in daylight and night. Check that color variation.
The beauty and appearance of the stone are dependent on its cutting pattern. You need to cut in perfect size and shape to have an attractive appearance.
The beauty of the birthstone is in its clarity. If you observe any defect in the clarity of the stone change it and look for the stone with high clarity.
The most important feature that you have to keep in mind while looking for a good quality gemstone is its carat weight.
Where to buy the August Birthstone?
Birthstones are available in many shops. But the good quality birthstones are available with good and trusted retailers only. For purchasing good quality birthstones you can approach the retailers like Amazon, Blue Nile, James Allen, and Jared. They offer a wide collection of all birthstones at the best prices.
Birthstones play a great role in building up confidence in people. Renowned personalities wear it as a part of their jewelry and their success story proves the magical powers of the stones. Perfectionists claim that you can wear only the stone that matches your birth date but some experts also claim that anyone can wear any stone of their choice. So, follow the advice that resonates with your inner voice.